Spring 2014 Registration Information - Registration Open!
Needham Boys Youth Lacrosse Spring 2014 Registration
***Please Save ***
This note will tell you everything you need to know if you want to play Needham Boys Lacrosse in Spring 2014
Welcome to the 2014 season for Boys Youth Lacrosse! In 2013 our program experienced the largest participation ever, offering boys in grades 1 through 8 an opportunity to play lacrosse at all skill levels.
We will again use a grade based format for our teams in 2014. The only change from last year is that our League has changed the 5th grade format from evenly weighted teams to A and B level teams based on skill.
U9– small ball format for players in grades 1 and 2.
U11– small ball format for players in grade 3 and 4, with balanced skill level teams comprised of only grade 3 or only grade 4 players.
Grade 5 – A and B level teams based on skill level-only 5th graders.
Grade 6 – A and B level teams based on skill level - only 6th graders.
Grade 7 – A and B level teams based on skill level – only 7th graders.
Grade 8 – A and B level teams based on skill level – only 8th graders.
* The A and B level teams in grades 5-8 will be determined via tryouts, 2013 player evaluations and 2013 coach input.
In order to offer the grade based program described above we will be participating in the Town Pride League (TPL) again this season.
Registration for All Players in Grades 1 Through 8
Registration will be as follows:
* Open Registration for all players grades 1 – 8 = October 5 2013 thru February 1 2014. We have set limits per grade for enrollment but you can still sign up if a certain grade is full but you will be put on a waiting list. If we have a grade that has a large turnout we will try and add an extra team if the numbers work out.
* Late Registration will not be offered this year. We have a hard stop of February 1 2014.
* Players in Grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 who wish to have an opportunity to make the “A” team for that grade level must attend at least one tryout. In order to tryout you must be registered. If you do not tryout you will be placed on a B team (see below for tryout specifics).
* There will be opportunities for many teams to attend a tournament during the year. Traditionally we have attended the Garber tournament at Umass.
* Tryout dates for the Spring 2014 Season are November 3rd and November 10th from 12pm to 4pm at Memorial Field. The times may change as we get close the the tryout date. People may have conflicts with other sports which is why you dont have to attend all tryout sessions. We have limited field space which is why we can only hold tyouts on these two dates.
All registration will be done on line via our web site:
Web Site Simplifies Registration Process
You are able to get all required registration information from our web site, as well as pay on line with your credit card. Simply go to www.NeedhamBoysLacrosse.com, click “Registration” and follow the directions to fill out required forms and pay. You may also print out forms and mail back with a check if you prefer.
Grade 5 to 8 Tryouts
* Players in grades 1 through 4 do not need to tryout as the teams at these levels will be balanced skill level teams.
* Players in grades 5,6, 7 and 8 who wish to have the opportunity to make the A team for their grade level must attend at least one tryout.
* If you do not wish to attend a tryout you can still play, you simply will be placed on a B team.
* Tryouts will be at Memorial Field on Sun Nov 3rd and Sun Nov 10th. Tryouts will be grade based and tryout times will be determined and posted on the web site at a later date.
* Tryouts will be conducted by Needham HS coaching staff. No parent will be involved in tryout skill evaluation for a grade level in which their child participates.
* Team selection will be based on the independent skill analysis of our coaches at tryouts, 2012 Player Evaluations and 2012 Coach input.
* All Players of the same grade level will practice together. For example, while Dave Wainwright, NHS varsity coach, will be the 8th grade A team coach, all 8th graders will practice at the same time under Dave’s supervision.
* Players who make a B team for their grade level will have opportunities throughout the season to be “called up” at times to play a game for the A team based on their performance on their B team.
* If you wish to tryout you must be registered. If you have not registered and paid you will not be allowed to tryout on the 3rd or 10th of November.
Players must supply their own equipment, including stick, helmet (must be NOCSAE approved), gloves, arm pads, shoulder pads, mouth guard and cleats. We hope to arrange for a program discount with a local lacrosse equipment company. Please keep an eye out for email information on this. There are also links on the web site to lacrosse equipment stores.
The season runs from 4/1/13 through mid June 2014. In general all teams will practice at least twice per week and play 1 to 2 games per week. All players in grades 6-8 will have at least one tournament opportunity.
The registration cost for 2013 is as follows:
· $285 for grades 3 through 8
· $195 for grades 1 and 2.
Cost include preseason B team jam and year-end TPL tournament for all teams as well as Needham Lacrosse shorts and jersey for the player to keep.
Needham Boys Lacrosse has a Scholarship Fund available for those in extreme financial need. Private and confidential inquiries about financial assistance can be made directly to our board member in charge of administering this Fund:
The boy’s lacrosse program is 100% dependent on volunteers. You do not need to have prior lacrosse experience to help, but experience is obviously a plus. Area’s in which we need help include Team Administrators, Head Coach and Assistant Coach as well as fundraising and program admin. If you are interested in volunteering your time to assist with our program please so indicate in the appropriate section of the registration form.
If you have any questions please check our web site at www.NeedhamBoysLacrosse.com. Most information regarding the program is included there, and you can also send specific questions to us via email from the site.